Camila Thorndike offers a list of some ways the GOP tax scam intends to destroy the environment. She found these items less than a day after the 500+ page tax bill was released to Capitol Hill politicians for the first time last night, just an hour before the GOP began pushing for the bill to be voted on. So more horrible measures will probably be found over time.
- Hands out a billion dollars to oil companies and preserves $14 Billion in fossil fuel subsidies, more than renewables by a 7:1 ratio.
- Suddenly axes tax breaks for electric vehicles.
- Eliminates the commercial solar investment credit.
- Jeopardizes wind energy by reducing credit for future projects by a third and threatening those underway.
- Randomly opens the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling, making an industrial oil field of this wild land, which is sacred to the indigenous Gwich’in people and home to 250 species and migratory birds from all 50 states and 6 continents. This, after three generations of bipartisan protection.
- Further weakens the EPA (think: drinkable water, breathable air, EJ), DOI (think: national parks and public lands
- and NOAA (think: oceans, weather), and then all state agencies that will scramble to fill in the gaps.