So, I collected this list of Philly cheesesteak restaurant reviews in 2016 from a Facebook thread, but didn’t record whose thread. I need to share it, for the couple of real gems in the list and because Ari and Jorge Ivan are in Philly today, contemplating cheesesteaks. If you’ve got a favorite spot to add, share it!
Here’s what I concluded after reading through the comments:
- Pats, Geno’s and Tony Luke’s are tourist places. Steve’s is another non-traditional spot but it gets banging reviews.
- The consensus among Philly natives is that Papi stores make the best cheesesteaks – and they only cost $5-10
- If you pay more than $10 for a cheesesteak you’re getting ripped off
This is my favorite comment 🙂 :
Vernon King: Foh dh. Who n the hell will pay beam dub on chessesteak with sesame seed long roll. When u could go to the Papi store & Get it for $4.00 or $4.50. I can buy new pair of J`s or Some Polo shirt. No State/City can make better chessesteak than ppl who was born/raised n Philadelphia,Pennsylvania hand down.
And the rest, for your reading pleasure:
- Belly busters have the best cheese steaks I have ever had!
- Got a place down here in Miami Springs called A Little Bit of Philly. The owner Pat is from Philly. And it’s the best philly cheese steak around, and only $8. Authentic down to the Amoroso bread. But no cheese wiz. But I’m ok with that. Lol
- Hassan Dioubaté: My girl’s from Philly. She brought me to Jim’s (not the South St one). The shit was soooooo damn good. I’ll be back!
- The nostalgia of going to Philadelphia and having a classic cheese steak from Pats or Steve’s makes it worth it! Thats just my opinion.
- Nick Tremarki: Nothing beats Chinks.
- Erick Naranjo: chubby’s steaks on Henry Ave the best ???
- Shantel Vails: Cheesesteaks from Max’s are the best!!
- Jordan Alexander Wallace: Atlas on 52nd and Market out in West Philly.
- Melanie Ways: Don’t miss Tony Luke’s! In Camden, check out Donkeys on Haddon Ave. I fell in love with Tony Luke’s pork sandwich. My husband discovered their cold sub is excellent as well. The secret is the bread!
- Jeffrey Graham: Maybe you don’t REALLY understand how passionate we are about OUR cheese steak here in Philly Jean Claude Mendez. We love our grease running down your knuckles, meat falling out of the sandwich on a good soft Philly baked Italian roll, belly filling cheese steak. It’s very insulting when you hear or see a variant that no where near how we do it and then jack up the price that NO real Philadelphian will EVER pay. It’s not called Philly pride for nothing.
- But have at it if that’s your flow.
- Shantae Pretty BrownSkin: Maxx’s is where it’s at!!! Inexpensive for an awsome big meaty cheese steak
- Jake Royal: I live right outside of Philly . pat and Geno’s way overated. The suburbs of Philly make the best cheese steaks. But if anyone is planning a trip to Philly try. Lorenzo’s. Or Sam’s. They are really good
- Crystal Strand: Paganos, Max’s , delassandro’s, Steve prince, ischia bibles… There are too many to chose from, but I guarantee whichever one you chose you won’t be disappointed Nikki Balseca Valentine
- Victoria Tori Parsons: Poppy stores. Bomb ass cheese steaks for 4 bucks. Grab a drink and a bag of chips, full for under 10. I’m good
- Eddie Alcantar: Personally Jim’s is one if my favorites. One of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had
- Layd Kayd: Pat’s or north 11thst…yesss
- Kev Walshie: This video just made me want a $6 steak from Carmen’s
- I have had probably 20 different steaks in the city and totally agree with Pagano’s and even Jim’s. If you want a custom steak for a slick deal with amazing flavor go to Shank’s on the pier, get their mushroom and aged prov all the time when I am down there.
- Arthur Brown IV: Maaaaan go to a Papi store
- Josh Priar: Jim’s on 4th and South… hands down the best. I’ll take 2 wiz with and 2 cans of lager
- Elissha Franklin: Ariel Manzano They are just tourist attraction. And they don’t know any better.. Every Neighborhood has at least one popular Steak shop.. Along with many small mom and pop shops you can get a good steak from.. Some of the steak shops has been Mentioned, Max’s, Steve’s, Dalessandros just to name a few.. But they’re also in the hood. So if your not a philly native and or affiliates with someone that will take you. Most likely you won’t know about it, or venture on your own..I’m from south philly and I go to Ishkabibles which is on south street. Very popular and Tourist friendly. So to speak… I’m just keeping it honest.. If you’re ever in philly look me up. And I will show you a steak good time
- Dan Hafner: Kharrima Stevens-Jackson It’s at 18th and Locust
- Ebin A. Draper: BELLYBUSTER’S IN OXFORD, PA! We don’t do Steakums & Cheez Whiz!!! REAL TALK!
- Jake Royal: Belly busters have the best cheese steaks I have ever had!
- Leslie Stars: Byblos on 18th & Chestnut in Philly has a filet mignon cheesesteak for $15 and its out of this world.
- Jackie Leinheiser: Or you go to the one pound cheesesteak place on Kensington and Lehigh at 2 Am and get a two footer for 11 bucks lol
- Sheed Sturgis: Or paganos on ogontz ave they pack ya steak heavy
- Jackie Leinheiser: Pats, Geno’s and Tony Luke’s are all tourist places that act like we actually order our cheesesteaks “wit” or “wit out” when we actually just say “mayo, ketchup, salt, pepper & fried onions”
- Brian Weissman: Jackie Ann, I really hope you ain’t from Philly and if you are I hope you get evicted from my city because what you just said ain’t no cheesesteak, you just ordered a pile of dogshit on a roll. STEVES PRINCE WIT WIZ! FOH.
- Michael Tomassetti: Jim’s Steaks 62nd & Noble. And nobody drinks that Swill you have a Yuengling with it.
- For my money though I’d rather shoot up Swanson to John’s or grab a couple roast beef combos at Old Nicks up on Jackson.
- Josh Priar: Best spot in Philly is Jim’s. Tony Luke’s is for people in MTL when they can’t get over the bridge. And idgaf if youre putting mayo ketchup or some of you actually do mustard….. you’re eating the wrong sàndwich
- Joe Shook: Genos and Pats are tourist steak places. Steves Prince all the way.
- Rah Diezel: I think I’m bout to go there now. There or Dwight’s. I swear they’re putting crack in that bbq sauce. That shyt is addictive.
- Latasha Parker: Ya prices way too high you need to cut it ?????? …#PhillyNative P.S. Every true Philly native knows that the best cheesesteaks come from the Papi stores!